Monday we took a historical walking tour of downtown Tucson. The first 10 or so stops were quite interesting. The last half of the tour wasn't (the home of the daughter of the man who built the first synagogue in Tucson, a building that used to be a movie theater, then changed into a boxing rink, etc.), so we cut out the last few stops and drove to "A" Mountain for a great view of Tucson.
Mom and dad at the Pima County Courthouse
After the downtown tour, we ate at a restaurant that Reader's Digest listed as having the best pico de gallo in the country. The pico de gallo was large chunks of pineapple and mango with lemon juice, salt and chili powder sprinkled on top. It was not at all what we were expecting from pico de gallo! But we did enjoy eating something different.
After lunch, we went to San Xavier and toured the grounds and cathedral. Mom and dad got some fry bread, which was very tasty - not at all like the fry bread Charles and I tried a few weeks ago. This bread was crispy and dripping with honey - so much that bees drowned in it!
Tuesday we drove 2 1/2 hours southeast of Tucson to visit Chiricahua National Monument. The Chiricahua Apaches lived in and around these mountains from the 1400's until they were settled on reservations in 1886. This was a beautiful place to hike! I loved all the huge rock formations. Charles had to work while we explored, so we plan to take a weekend trip there this summer.
2 comments:
Those are all such beautiful pictures, I love seeing the blue sky!
Sounds like a fun outing with them -- I'm glad they got to visit you. And, I'm with Amy -- I miss that blue sky!!!
Post a Comment