May 27, 2009

Mesa Verde National Park - Sunday and Monday

Here's what we did the other two days at Mesa Verde:

Sunday all 6 of us attended a Sacrament Meeting in Cortez. We then ate a picnic lunch and toured the free sites at Mesa Verde:

the Far View Sites

This is a kiva. Kivas are found everywhere in Mesa Verde. Their purpose is unknown, but thought to be used for religious purposes.


This is a large reservoir the Ancesteral Puebloans built. It was 12 feet deep.


A structure at the Far View site

some overlooks,

The Square Tower is the tallest building at Mesa Verde, 4 stories tall.

and the Spruce Tree House.


At Spruce Tree House overlook


Dad exploring a reconstructed kiva in Spruce Tree House

Sunday night we made dutch oven enchiladas and Katrina made a corn salad. For dessert we roasted marshmallows over the fire and made s'mores. We all had a nice rain-free evening together!


Monday morning Charles and I packed up our tent and loaded up the car. We all then drove to the Wetherill Mesa (which opened for the summer just the day before) for a tour of the Long House. We loved the view from the Long House, the Long House itself, and so took alot of pictures of the place.

All of the circular areas are kivas.






After the Long House tour, Charles and I said our goodbyes and drove back to Tucson, arriving home about 9 that night. We made a stop at the hotel we stayed at Friday night and picked Charles' pillow. He was happy to have it back! It was a very enjoyable weekend and we sure enjoyed seeing some family and friends!

2 comments:

Jay and Emily said...

I love all of those pictures! That place is amazing! I'm glad you guys were able to have so much fun.

Jo said...

I jealous, I have been wanting to go there the last 4 years. I hope to go. It looks awesome!